Friday, March 5, 2010

Day Sixty-One

Well, it would seem that I'm not too good at focusing on weight loss. You really would think that being uncomfortable everyday would be enough but it just isn't. Guess I'm used to it... However, I have found a renewed sense of motivation in preparing for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure event. I am excited about my training and am even excited about my fundraising! I've raised $613 dollars to date - approximately one month from my initial registration. Yay! I have been a bit distracted and less focused on my training for last two weeks. First by weather - CANNOT stand walking on the treadmill; Second by work; thirdly by my fundraising efforts. So - yesterday I went on a field trip with my son's fourth grade class to Marshall Gold Discovery State Park - the original gold discovery site spawning the 1849 California Gold Rush. Not only was this a fun event but it was also an excellent opportunity to get some exercise in. Me and the six students I was watching (including my son) were at the park from about 10:30am to 2:00pm. We WALKED around the entire time and I REALLY wish I would have brought my pedometer! In addition to walking all day, we also went on a 1/2 mile hike up this mini mountain to see the James Marshall monument at the top. Whew! Did that ever get my heart pumping! Then of course, there was the 1/2 mile back down. Tonight, a friend of mine is coming over to walk with me around my neighborhood. The next time, I plan to go walk in her neighborhood so I can get a change of scenery. I also think it's time that I join up with the teams other teams that are training in my neighborhood. Walking by myself is really nice but I think it's important I have LOTS of options so I don't get bogged down by the minutia. Plus, I saw a post from a Susan G. Komen 3-Day Ambassador who suggested pre-mapping routes of varying lengths so you can shake up your training day-to-day without a lot of effort - she called it building a route library. I think that's a great idea and something I'm looking forward to doing tonight. So - that's my plan for getting refocused on my training! As for my fundraising... I have been getting ready for my first fundraising event - a used book sale. I have been collecting book donations from my friends and family - which has gone great! But, I've also been asking for used books stores and strangers - which has gone surprisingly well. One bookstore owner in Roseville gave me three bags of books last Sunday and told me stop by every Sunday morning for more! A second bookstore owner in Orangevale has promised by a minimum of ten bags for me to pick up this weekend! How freakin' great is this! PLUS - I got five bags of books from a woman in West Sacramento and nine boxes of books form a couple in Woodland - both of whom responded to a wanted ad I placed on Craig's list! My used book fundraising event is scheduled for Saturday, March 20th. I still have yet to decide on an official location. I'm thinking that holding it outside of a grocery store would work better than having it at my house. I mean grocery stores have a ton of foot traffic but then there's the choice of which store. So, that's my plan for this weekend. 1) Pick up more books and 2) Find and set the location. Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment